PCI bus node location

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Nov 11 10:44:12 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 05:55:33PM +0100, Rafal Jaworowski wrote:
> On 2009-11-10, at 04:12, David Gibson wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 07:36:57PM -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
> >>On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Rafal Jaworowski
[snip]
> >Right.
> >
> >Under the new scheme, the "soc" node is really a historical misnomer -
> >it represents just the things within the IMMR, not everything on the
> >SoC.  A number of chips also have the localbus controller as a
> >separate node, likewise within the SoC but not within the IMMR, so not
> >a child of the soc node.
>
> Hm, how do we know whether something belongs under the IMMR/CCSR
> node or not (even though it physically sits there :-)?

Well, the basic criterion is whether its registers are relocated with
the rest of the IMMR.  Which would cover the PCI control registers, of
course, but they're not there for the reasons given.  Yes, it's kind
of nasty.

> Is the 'soc' node going to be named something less confusing then?

I think it should, but it's difficult to change because u-boot has
dependencies on it.  I think there are a few newer trees where it's
named IMMR.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson