dtc build failures on OS X

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed May 20 12:08:14 EST 2009

I'm trying to build dtc on Mac OS X.  The compilation seems to go
okay, but the linker dies.  First, it says this:

	 LD libfdt/libfdt.so
ld: unknown option: --version-script=libfdt/version.lds
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

A Google search suggested that I can just delete the --version-script
option.  I did that, and now I get this error:

	 LD libfdt/libfdt.so
ld: unknown option: -soname
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This web page: http://lists.apple.com/archives/unix-porting/2003/Oct/msg00032.html
had some suggestions on how to fix that, so my Makefile now looks like
this:

$(LIBFDT_lib):
        @$(VECHO) LD $@
        $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -fPIC -Wl,-dylib_install_name -Wl,$(notdir
$@) -shared -o $(LIBFDT_objdir)/libfdt-$(DTC_VERSION).so $^
        ln -s libfdt-$(DTC_VERSION).so $(LIBFDT_objdir)/libfdt.so

But now I get this error:

	 LD libfdt/libfdt.so
Undefined symbols:
  "_main", referenced from:
      start in crt1.10.5.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So now I'm stuck.  Has anyone tried this before?  Can anyone tell me
how to fix this?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale