The usage of compatible 'simple-bus'

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Jan 8 02:25:51 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:51:12AM +0800, Li Yang wrote:
> > I see two sensible options for this situation:
> >        - Move the MDIO node to outside the gianfar MAC node.  I think
> > this is already done on some boards with gianfar?
>
> Yes, we can use good old way.  But as Scott has moved the MDIO into
> the gianfar node on MPC8313, maybe it's a better way to describe the
> relationship of the two parts.

Ah, right, that was to reflect the clock domain situation so that someday
when I get time to do device power management the kernel can know that by
shutting down ethernet at 25000 it's also shutting down mdio at 24520, which is
also used by ethernet at 26000.

Adding simple-bus was a bit of a hack, but it preserves the existing
binding whereby mdio sits under a simple-bus.  Ideally, the mdio node
would simply be a container for PHY nodes, and would simply be a part of
gianfar rather than a separate entity.

-Scott