ARM clock API to PowerPC

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Aug 13 09:47:31 EST 2009

> > Ok. So I may have misunderstood what names were for. In my mind, those
> > were the name of the clock input on the HW device :-)
>
> Oh, I do hope I didn't say that was wrong, because that is quite
> correct.  What the idea with passing a NULL 'name' with drivers
> which only had one input was to force people to avoid using 'name'
> as the sole way to match.

I see. So basically, they are meant to be the input names, but have been
abused by people to be "global scope" clock names and hence mess
happened.

> When I originally wrote the AMBA primecell drivers, I did use things
> like 'UARTCLK' and 'AACICLK' for the clk_get() name - since these
> were the name on the device, and that really only provided people
> with a bad example to follow.  Especially if you consider that the
> hardware I had was FPGA based development boards where the clocking
> layout lent itself well to ignoring the 'dev' argument.

Right.

> > Right. I didn't intend to name the clock sources. I intended to name the
> > clock -inputs- of a given device. IE. clk_get(dev, name) in my mind
> > meant "give me the clock provider that feeds my "name" input).
>
> That's absolutely the right way to look at it!

Cool :-) It did feel right indeed.

> > Allright but passing a NULL doesn't help for drivers with multiple clock
> > inputs. IE. How do you want to deal with that ? Do you want to deprecate
> > the named API and instead provide a new clk_get_for_input(dev,
> > clk_input) (clk_input could be name or numerical ... tbd) ?
>
> NULL certainly doesn't help for drivers with multiple clock inputs.
> For those, you have to explicitly name the input.  To take the
> example commits I pointed at (the OMAP watchdog driver) OMAP blocks
> generally have two clock inputs - a functional clock and an
> interface clock.

Right, that's a common setup.

> Originally, the driver was effectively setup to match by clock source
> name (wdt2_fck, wdt2_ick) which was SoC specific.  What the commits
> did was convert things to looking using the names of the inputs
> (aka consumer name) - so dev + "fck" and dev + "ick".

Ok, cool, so we are on the same page.

> That results in clkdev looking up the clocks for device "omap_wdt"
> for inputs "fck" and "ick" respectively.  On OMAP1 platforms, there
> isn't an "ick" as such, so there's a match-any-device dummy "ick"
> entry.  On OMAP2 and OMAP3 (the later revs) there are specific
> clocks for these, and so the dummy entry is missing.
>
> So, the approach I took was: where it is well defined that a device
> has only one clock input, we pass a NULL name.  If it has more than
> one clock input, we pass the specific consumer name required.

Makes sense. I think this will work beautifully with the device-tree too
with the idea of having properties that then provide the binding for a
given clock input to the clock provider and the clock ID on that
provider (my proposal makes the later a number because doing strings can
be awkward in OF land in such mapping tables but I might go back to
strings, we'll see).

> > Or am I missing a piece of the puzzle ?
>
> Maybe - and since you're just starting to look at clkdev, I'll point
> out that it's actually not intuitive which way around the "wildcard"
> matching works in clkdev.  The clk_get() arguments aren't the
> wildcards, they're in the clk_lookup structure.  Yes, it seems odd,
> but if you consider it from the point of view of the platform code
> wanting to match clocks to a specific set of devices and clock inputs,
> it's actually the way around that you want.

Ok. I'll read up a bit and see if I can get my head around it.

Thanks !

Cheers,
Ben.