GPIO - marking individual pins (not) available in device tree

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Fri Oct 24 09:22:03 EST 2008

You could have the gpio node define an "address space" where each
"address" is a GPIO pin number.

The node would have one address cell and one size cell, and the
"decode-unit" and "encode-unit" methods would be the garden-variety
flavors that just convert integers between binary and ASCII.  Since this
is not a memory mapped address space, a "ranges" property wouldn't be
necessary or appropriate.

The node could have an "available" property with address/size pairs
defining pins that can be freely used.  For example, if pins 4 and 7-9
were free, the available property would contain

   000000004 00000001   \ 1 pin starting at #4
   000000007 00000003   \ 3 pins starting at 7

This is modeled on the /memory node's "available" property.

Subordinate nodes could represent specific preassigned GPIO functions,
for example

   /<whatever>/gpio/wakeup at 12

As an alternative to the "available" property, you could instead have
subordinate nodes for the user-assignable GPIOs, e.g.:

  /<whatever>/gpio/usergpio at 4
  /<whatever>/gpio/usergpio at 7

That last idea is probably a bit over-the-top, though, especially if
there are a lot of unassigned GPIOs.

You could adopt the convention that preassigned GPIOs must be
represented by subordinate nodes, and any GPIO that is not covered by a
subordinate node's "reg" property is implicitly available.  That's the
way it works for other address spaces.

Mitch Bradley