Device tree for c67x00

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Mon Oct 6 14:29:39 EST 2008

Likely
devicetree-discuss at ozlabs.org
> Subject: Re: Device tree for c67x00
>
> (added devicetree-discuss mailing list to cc: list since some of the
> content is relevant to current discussions about device tree syntax.)
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:09:01PM -0700, Stephen Neuendorffer wrote:
> >
> > Below is an fdt patch for the cypress USB.  It generates fragments
like:

> >                 ext_usb: xps-epc at 85000000 {
> >                         #address-cells = <1>;
> >                         #size-cells = <1>;
> >                         compatible = "xlnx,compound";
> >                         ranges = < 0x85000000 0x85000000 0x10000 >;
>
> Aside: Considering that this is a 1:1 mapping, you could just specify
> "ranges;" here instead...  Of course, since the epc devices really are
> bridges, it probably is appropriate for ranges to be explicit.
>
> However, since the epc devices have multiple chip selects, it might be
> better to use #address-cells = <2> and encode the chip select in the
> first address cell.  Then ranges would look something like this:
> 	ranges = < 0 0 0x85000000 0x10000 >; (CS0, offset 0)
>
> Additional chip selects would add additional tuples to the ranges
> property:
> 	ranges = < 0 0 0x85000000 0x10000    (CS0, offset 0)
> 	           1 0 0x86000000 0x10000 >; (CS1, offset 0)
>
> and the reg property for the c67x00 would be:
> 	reg = <0 0 0x10000>;

Hmm.. interesting idea.

> This scheme would be an accurate representation of what the FPGA
design
> is actually doing.
>
> >                         usb at 85000000 {
> >                                 compatible = "cypress,c67x00";
> >                                 reg = < 0x85000000 0x10000 >;
> >                         } ;
> >                 } ;
> >
> > Assuming, of course, that we connect through the epc core.
> > There are two pieces of trickiness:
> >
> > 1) How do we know that the epc connects to a cypress chip outside of
the
> > FPGA.  This needs to be encoded in the EDK project somehow..  We
have
> > the same problem with FLASH.
>
> This is a major use-case for the new syntax being discussed to add to
dtc.
> Specifically being able to include one file into another.  It would be
> desirable for EDK to generate a base layout that describes the FPGA
> design, and then have a board file that includes the generated file
and
> adds the nodes/properties that are board, not FPGA, specific.
>
> I'll try to write up some specific use cases that would help in
> evaluating new dts syntax.  (Jon, David; I can't help much with the
dtc
> code, but I can at least provide my impressions from the user side of
> the equation).

I completely agree..  At the moment I'm more concerned about how that
might be encoded in the EDK project...  Although maybe it's not as much
of an issue (although if the device tree information for the board is
completely disconnected from EDK, then it would force a board designer
to replicate information that might be in Base System Builder).

Steve