DTS language enhancements

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat Oct 4 14:18:41 EST 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:07:53AM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> Kumar Gala wrote:
>
>>> e.g. /merge/({foo = "abc";}, {bar = <17>;}) == {foo = "abc"; bar=<17>;}
>>> (this would recurse down subnodes with identical names)
>>>     - get subnode
>>> e.g. /getnode/({ subnode { foo = "bar"; }; }, "subnode") ==
>>>     { foo = "bar"; }
>>>     - get property (result of this is a bytestring, not a
>>> node-content expression)
>>> e.g. /getprop/({ foo = "bar"; }, "foo") = "bar"
>>
>> This is very interesting and seems to address some functionality I've
>> talked to Jon about us needing to modify and update nodes.
>>
>> - k
>
> And Kumar, to be fair finish our conversation some more:
> I *agreed* that we should get to that level of functionality as well,
> and even said we'd work towards having it over time.  But, that we
> wanted to make a first step towards a framework with something usable.
>
> Feh.
>
> I am *not* the bad-guy here.  For 3 years folks have been saying
> "We need _something_...." and for three years no one did jack shit.

That's not entirely true.  I certainly should have been more public
about what I had, but I'm no guiltier than you.

> In the Open Source development world, the motto right behing
> "post early, post often" is most assuredly "Show me the code".
>
> Well, talk is cheap and proposing a vacuous and arguable something
> has always been just that -- arguable.  So I am showing you the code
> and giving you something to shoot at.
>
> It's more than anyone else has done on this front.

Bear in mind that when I posted my expression support patch, I thought
*that* was more than anyone else had done at the time.  And since I
got no response, not even a "I have something else in my tree I've
been working on" I continued to think so for some weeks until you
posted your series.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson