The new DTS language enhancements

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Oct 2 10:42:47 EST 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 04:51:09PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> >
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> We have had some internal discussion inside Freescale
> >> about my proposed DTS language enhancements now.
> >> We feel that we have significant need for this approach,
> >> and in the absence of a solid alternate proposal,
> >> we would like to move forward with it.
> >
> > I agree with Jon here... if people aren't going to have useful comments on
> > what changes need to be made to Jon's work we'd (Freescale) like to see a
> > dtc-2.0 with these changes and getting those changes into the kernel for
> > 2.6.28.
>
> Jon's changes are non-trivial and have long lasting implications.
> First posting of the changes was made on Sept 23, just over a week
> ago.  Jon told me about the new design only a month ago.  Not a lot of
> time.

I entirely agree, especially since the first I saw of the proposed
syntax was the implementation.

> This is not the same as adding a new driver or supporting a new SoC.
> The consequences have considerable broader reach.  Time must be
> allowed for us to mull over the design.

Indeed.  This will be syntax we have to live with for a long time, and
the current version does not sit at all well with me.

> Merging for 2.6.28 is too aggressive.
>
> I appreciate that you're frustrated with the lack of alternate
> proposals, but there hasn't been enough time yet.

Yes.  I'm working on my own preferred approach now, as fast as I can
around other things I need to do.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson