generating a phandle w/libfdt?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 6 13:10:40 EST 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:47:39PM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2008, at 7:04 PM, David Gibson wrote:
[snip]
>>> What if we just have it do that if we have a "linux,phandle" property
>>> w/o a value in the .dts?
>>
>> Hrm.  Normally that would create a property named "linux,phandle" with
>> a zero-length value.  I'm disinclined to special case this.
>
> Why?  linux,phandle is already special.  What does it mean if a
> linux,phandle has no value?

Well, making existing notation mean something different for this
property seems to me a different order of special casing than
auto-creating the property if it's not present to start with.

You know, I am inclined to make:
	linux,phandle = < &thisnode >;
the approved way of doing this.  I *think* that will already work, but
if not we can fix it.  The circular reference is slightly odd, but it
is self-consistent.  I suppose we could still come up with a further
shorthand so it's not necessary to make a label for a node to do this
('&.' or something for 'reference-to-containing-node').

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson