Device Tree Functional Enhancements

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Fri Jul 25 04:46:28 EST 2008

Guys,

I've been discussing some functional enhancements to
the DTS syntax and functionality with some folks at
Freescale already.  Here is a brief summary of one
proposal to add a templating macro-like ability.

I wrote:

   Let's pretend for a moment that "macro support" is just a little
   bit vague still.  At the risk of sounding too Agile, give me an
   example Use Case with solution.

And Scott replied with this example:

    OK, a use case for defining CPU nodes:

    /define/ e500-cpu(int num) {
        cpu@\num {
            device_type = "cpu";
            compatible = "fsl,e500mc";
            reg = <\num>;
            /if/ \num == 0 {
                status = "okay";
            } /else/ {
                status = "disabled";
                enable-method = "spin-table";
            }
        };
    }

    /for/ i /in/ 0..7 {
        e500-cpu(\i);
    }

And I very much agree with his example as it agreed
very much in large part with my notions in the first place.

Other comments?

jdl