[ccan] ccan and C standards newer than gnu89

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Thu Aug 20 16:54:43 AEST 2015

Hiya,

> On 19 Aug 2015, at 23:04, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
>
> Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> writes:
>> I while back, I submitted a module that depended on some c99 behavior
>> (inline & extern inline) that isn't quite avalaible in gnu89, and as a
>> result was rejected at the time.
>>
>> Now that gcc has switched it's default to gnu11 (which includes the
>> behavior of inline & extern inline I needed), I'm wondering if modules
>> that need non-gnu89 features might be submittable.
>
> Hmm, maybe it is time?  It's best if it doesn't completely break older
> compilers though...

I apologise for framing this as a generality but I wonder if it's feasible to make this build time configurable so you can get some ccan goodness even with an older compiler, just not the newer modules ? Seek to confine the reliance on new functions as much as possible without hamstringing the whole endeavour perhaps.

I'm thinking this in the context of keeping ccan as useful as possible with older gcc versions or even non gcc compilers, both of which still get a bit of use in embedded systems/toolchains I think.

Cheers,
Hugh