[ccan] ISC license?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Oct 21 10:24:57 EST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 04:45:36 am Tim Post wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 13:35 -0400, Greg London wrote:
> > I'm not sure what ccan's overall goal is but according to cpan
> >
> > http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_is_Perl_licensed
> >
> > Most of the modules on cpan are licensed gnu gpl or perl artistic.
> > Maybe ccan might want to consider a suggestion to contributers to
> > keep, if at all possible, licenses to a few common ones (and list
> > those common licenses).
> >
> > There really are only a handful of different licensing goals.  And
> > multiple nuances, while sometimes deathly important to the developer,
> > ends up creating headaches for.all the downstream users because of
> > incompatibilities.
>
> I agree with you, mostly.
>
> I don't see why licenses can't be resolved just like dependencies in the
> not too distant future. Most OSI approved licenses are compatible,
> however the most restrictive license in the mix prevails.

I like this idea; search by licence compatibility makes sense (more sense
than search-by-licence, really).

Re: wider licencing issues.  I have avoided specifying what licences to use,
but I prefer licences already in tree for simplicity.

And I appreciate how civilized this licencing thread has been, but let's
not push our luck :)

Thanks!
Rusty.