[ccan] iniparser re-branding

Adam Kennedy adamkennedybackup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:39:14 EST 2010

The main advantage of having code inside of the repo compared to
outside is that stuff that is inside the repository is inside the
dependency graph. Which means other modules can depend on it and deps
get included automatically.

This is main reason that CPAN is such a huge vortex that eventually
sucks anything Perl into it. If you have non-CPAN code, then you can't
write anything in CPAN that depends on it. And therefore such code
tends to be unpopular and eventually get abandoned.

The only Perl code I know of that manages to life a reasonable life
outside of the CPAN are huge end user applications like wikis or big
CMS products. Thing that other code generally won't be depending on.

So if iniparser is removed from the repo, nobody else can write a CCAN
package that depends on iniparser. It becomes an external dependency
someone has to fulfill, which ultimately is just too darned
inconvenient as the dependency graph grows.

This is all completely parallel to the legal/other issues, just an
observation on why it's generally better to have things inside the
dependency graph rather than outside.

Adam K