[ccan] Moving modules to vanity naming?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Nov 3 11:32:56 EST 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:39:06 am david at lang.hm wrote:
> I think it would be better to group by similar functionality, and within
> that grouping add author names.

Isn't that simply adding another level of indirection?  I'm really unsure
what the popular groups would be, so I figured that by-author was the
least-sucky way of side-stepping that.

As you allude, we'd still need both since by-functionality makes the
namespace issues worse.

> If I'm browsing through things, having the first-level split be by author
> provides (almost) no useful information.

That's true, and I find it personally annoying.

Yet I hope that we will get thousands of modules.  That means the utility of
browsing the git repository will diminish, so I don't believe we should
optimize for that case.

The website listing won't be by author (at least, the main list), just the
actual layout in the repo.

Thanks,
Rusty.