[ccan] Moving modules to vanity naming?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Nov 3 10:47:17 EST 2010

As CCAN grows (slowly!) the problem of name collisions keeps rearing its
head.  So after some discussion on IRC I think we should switch to
author-named subdirectories.  I'd like to see if anyone feels strongly
about it before doing so, however.

How It Would Work
----------------
The modules move one level down, by maintainer, eg:
	#include <ccan/rusty/alignof/alignof.h>

The modules themselves won't change, only the #include lines
(and _info depends printfs.)

Benefits
--------
1) No risk of namespace poaching: I can have my alloc module and you can have
   yours too.  If someone wants to use both together, they'll have to run
   namespacize on one (or both).

2) git commit access to the whole subdir can be granted, so authors get
   complete control and don't need to ask anyone to create (or delete,
   rename) modules.

3) Some extra kudos for authors.

Costs
-----
1) Another sublevel.

2) Too much vanity, particularly for me as I have seeded the most modules in
   ccan.

3) Symlinks or global changes required when module maintainer changes.

If noone strongly objects, I'll make this change at the end of the week.

Thanks,
Rusty.