[ccan] Focus in GSOC 2009.

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:01:18 EST 2009

Hi,

I was looking at the projects of GSOC 2008 and I found CCAN in the
list of mentoring organisations. Looking at last year's proposal [0],
I saw that it was aimed at the CCAN web-portal. However, when I
casually browsed through the February archives [1,2], I feel that the
focus this year was on "adding packages" to CCAN. Would projects that
aim to improve the portal be encouraged this year?

I was thinking of "something" on the lines of Google code search,
helping people to search code and meta-data (author, description of
package, etc.) better.

Example:
"author: rusty file: te*.c comment: hello world"

Would return a list of files by the author "rusty," searching through
files matching against the wildcard "te*.c" having the text "hello
world" in a comment block. Though this provides more flexibility, I am
unsure of how such a comprehensive search would scale. It's just an
idea now. :-)

Thanks,
Regards,
--
Vimal

[0] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ccan/appinfo.html?csaid=46C1A39EF68BDD67
[1] http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/ccan/2009-February/000117.html
[2] http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/ccan/2009-February/000118.html

PS: I like the spelling of archive on this website:
http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/ccan-test/. Looks like a mix of "archive" +
"achieve".