[ccan] I like this idea!

Tim Post echo at echoreply.us
Tue Jan 6 21:34:43 EST 2009

Hi Rusty,

I've often dreamed of some tool that would let me search for and grab
snippets that I need. I have a few questions that I did not find in the
wiki:

1 - What is the limit for a snippet? I'm working on a mini library to
simplify access to xenstore for both privileged and underprivileged
guests.. its about 1500 lines of code including the public header. Is
that too big to be a snippet? Its not nearly big enough to be a library,
more like a wrapper. It simplifies transactions and simplifies
reads/writes so the app doesn't have to convert strings.

2 - Are some command line tools to search for and grab (perhaps even
update) snippets planned?

3 - Is some means to register a namespace planned? I.e. if my upload is
foo, and all of my functions are foo_this or foo_that, is something able
to detect conflicts?

I really hope to see this become popular.. My IDE has a snippet gallery,
I wish it could pull stuff from some central source based on keywords.
Despite Google's best efforts, searching for snippets returns pages of
pure advertisement crap.

Cheers, happy new year, thanks for the tool!
--Tim