[ccan] ccan lint, doxygen and unit tests

Tim Post echo at echoreply.us
Thu Feb 26 18:26:49 EST 2009

Hi Rusty,

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 16:14 +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 20:03:56 Tim Post wrote:
> > So, is a score of 4/5  (or after GSOC 6/10) acceptable, if the only
> > thing that lint complains about is whitespace?
>
> Heh, the whitespace test is only in there because it was a trivial
> example to write :)

Ahh, ok.

> There's a tools/doc-extract which does this; I use it to generate the
> web pages (and also want to use it for ccanlint to actually test the
> embedded examples).

Found it, thanks.

> > Finally, we have unit tests. Could someone comment a function like this
> > and have them generated automagically? (Rusty, please forgive the winged
> > comment, I'm making it compatible with doxygen)
>
> See above; I agree this is a direction we want to go.  I think we'll always want unit
> tests as we have, but I do believe there should be a (more human readable!) option for
> the examples to double as tests

That would be awesome .. will it be based on a common libccanlint so
other programs can use its features via a standard API? As a packager I
would use such a library extensively.

> For me, ccanlint is to be the universal check: checking for everything from testsuite
> regressions, to testsuite coverage, to comment typos.

Alright, I think I now see the scope of what you want it to do. Thanks,
it all makes sense now.

Cheers,
--Tim