[ccan] iniparser almost done, a couple of questions before uploading

Adam Kennedy adamkennedybackup at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:38:48 EST 2009

2009/4/2 Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au>:
>> I have tests written for all non void functions, is that adequate
>> coverage?
>
> I wasn't planning on explicitly setting requirements.  The GSoC student(s)
> will integrate coverage testing into ccanlint so it'll be up to people reading
> the ccanlint scores to decide whether your coverage is high enough I guess.

The thing that makes the repository truly work well is not letting
perfectionism prevent contribution.

We've found time and again that it's more important to get the code
into the repository than it is for that code to be reliable.

As long as people are sufficiently open to other people's
contributions and patches, even code that is fairly ordinary will be
improved fairly quickly once exposed to the testing infrastructure and
other users.

In one great example, the eBay guys decided a while back to start
releasing their official Perl client APIs to the CPAN. Despite a 3
month or so release cycle and full corporate release management and
testing, they still had to do an incremental release a few hours after
their first upload because of things they'd missed.

So in general I'd recommend you write enough tests that you are happy
that the major bugs are worked out, then upload and do incremental
releases from there (as you find the additional smaller problems).

Adam K