[ccan] CCAN and Google Summer of Code

Adam Kennedy adamkennedybackup at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:34:50 EST 2008

> I think I'll move the repo around anyway, just for my own clarity.  How we
> extract that information into the mirror is a movable feast (I don't like
> modules by authorship/maintainership, as authorship is a variable, but that
> may be overruled by the "if in doubt, copy CPAN" rule).

The directory structure in the general case actually represents "release
managers".

I will admit the social effect allows a certain level of perceived
"ownership" of the packages, particularly if the package installer
displays the URIs as it downloads packages, so you get a sort of stream
of "credits" so to speak.

This crediting (I feel anyway) can also help encourage new maintainers,
as on search.cpan.org for example it appear as "yours"...

Anyways, there's some social subtleties that we or may not want to keep.

We might not, for example, WANT people to get too possessive about
packages and have them be more GNU-style collectivist.

Adam K