[ccan] Search Module

dinesh g g.dinesh.cse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 03:12:29 EST 2008

Few doubts about how CPAN search works.

1. First i want to know what are fields CPAN search indexes from yml file
for searching and how?
Is it like, suppose if we take talloc module in CCAN, it will contain

"talloc - tree allocator routines" in _info.c.

So store "tree allocator routines" as whole in database and do regular
expression query to db. If repository becomes huge this might affect
performance or can we go with it? or extract keywords and store in db which
might be good in performance but somewhat complex.

2. There are basically 3 items for searching modules, distribution and
authors. What other items can be included here?

3. I think CPAN is not using any ranking mechanism, if it using what is its
ranking mechanism?

Thanks,
Dinesh.