[Cbe-oss-dev] MARS and SPU-GCC 4.6

Ulrich Weigand Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com
Fri Jan 28 01:24:16 EST 2011

Paul Keir <pkeir at dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use MARS, and now have a runtime error; even in
> the simplest MARS Hello example. The error is:
>
> MARS task create failed! (8)
>
> The (8) corresponds to the MARS error
> MARS_ERROR_FORMAT and likely comes from
> the task_map_elf function called by
> mars_task_create. I used readelf to look at the
> output of the new SPU compiler, and it seems to
> produce the same ELF32/SPU files as
> SPU-GCC 4.1.1..
>
> Does anyone have an idea what could be causing
> the error?

The task_map_elf routine apparently has very specific
ideas how the ELF segment list ought to look like
(exactly one "text" and one "data" segment, both
with exactly 128 byte alignment requirement, and
the text segment starting at one particular address).
If the ELF input deviates in any way, it will refuse
to load it.  Differences in the compiler can in theory
trigger that ...

Can you look at the output of "spu-readelf -l" on the
output of new vs. old compilers?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  STSM, GNU compiler and toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell/B.E.