[Cbe-oss-dev] A simple PS3 question...

Durga Choudhury dpchoudh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 11:44:59 EST 2010

Hi

I have a simple question I am really hoping you will be able to answer.

I have Fedora 12 installed on my PS3. This installs the yaboot
bootloader and the stock kernel, of course. The yaboot bootloader
expects a compressed kernel, i.e. a vmlinuz file.

However, (native) compiling the stock kernel on the PS3 creates an
uncompressed kernel, i.e. a vmlinux file. From a brief web search it
looks like this is the correct file format on PPC64 architecture, but
then yaboot refuses to boot it. Even the 'make install' process does
not automatically insert the new entry in /boot/yaboot/yaboot.conf, as
it does in the PC architecture by modifying /boot/grub.conf. I tried
manually editing the yaboot.conf file to make an entry for the new
kernel (and the associated Ramdisk etc), but the bootloader simply
hangs while trying to boot the uncompressed kernel.

My simple question is: how do I compile the stock kernel that I can
boot with a Fedora installed yaboot boot loader, or, generate a
vmlinuz compressed kernel file?

Thanks and regards
Durga