[Cbe-oss-dev] Booting from USB DVD drive via petitboot?

Dominik Klein dominik.klein at vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 5 19:36:22 EST 2010

Hi Geoff,

it looks like pb-discover runs before all the USB devices are completely
initialized by the kernel. If I drop into a shell and run
"/etc/init.d/petitboot restart" followed by "petitboot" I can see the
boot menu entries for the CD in the USB DVD drive and can boot from the
CD without any further problems. The drive was connected with the CD
inserted at boot time by the way.

Is there any way to pass arguments to the petitboot kernel? This sounds
like adding "rootdelay=10" could help.

I've attached my dmesg output, /var/log/messages and two versions of
pb-discover.log. The first one represents the state immediately after
boot, the second one after the pb-discover restart via the init script.

Looking at these it seems like this affects all USB devices - the card
reader devices (sda-sdc) also only appear in the pb-discover.log after
the restart of pb-discover.

Kind regards,
Dominik