[Cbe-oss-dev] Help installing a custom kernel on PS3

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 20:40:01 EST 2010

On 01/01/10 03:30, Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 12/31/2009 12:40 PM, Andrea wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install a custom kernel on a PS3 running Fedora 12.
>> I've done what I usually do on an x86
>
> Nothing here is PS3 specific.
>
>> make xconfig
>> make
>> make modules_install
>> make install
>>
>> the issue is that "make install" tries to install a gigantic file that fills the entire space of /boot.
>>
>> this file is called vmlinux
>>
>> I can see that Fedora kernel is vmlinuz and it is much smaller.
>
> vmlinuz is a gzipped version of vmlinux.
>
>> How would I install "vmlinuz"? I've tried "make zImage", but the file zImage does not look like a
>> bootable kernel.
>
> Why not?

This is what file reports about Fedora's vmlinuz

vmlinuz-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.ppc64:
ELF 64-bit MSB shared object, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked,
stripped

and this is the vmlinux in linux-2.6.32.2/arch/powerpc/boot

vmlinux:
ELF 64-bit MSB shared object, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not
stripped

this is zImage in linux-2.6.32.2/arch/powerpc/boot

zImage: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, with
unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0x13676e75, with unknown capability 0x10000 = 0xb0402, not stripped

vmlinux seems similar to vmlinuz (just a lot bigger), while zImage looks something else

> What happens if you try to boot or kexec it?
>
> The command 'make V=1 zImage' should show the commands used to build zImage.
>
> -Geoff

I've tried make binrpm-pkg but it builds the same big file.
I guess my question really is

How do I tell make to strip vmlinux to install vmlinuz?
Otherwise "make install" runs out of space.