[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3 kernel lockdep issue?

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 23:11:30 EST 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > > ps3_smp_setup_cpu() is causing a GFP_KERNEL allocation (via
> > > request_irq()) but interrupts are still off that early in cpu bringup.
> >
> > Please elaborate. Does it mean that this dmesg report message is a false
> > positive? Or does it mean that this is a known problem (or a mostly
> > harmless code ugliness) which is going to be fixed?
>
> No it's not a false positive. Though it is mostly harmless. The only
> case (I think) where it would cause real trouble is if the kernel needed
> to do I/O in order to do the allocation, which this early in boot is
> unlikely.
>
> > I had some occasional hangs when trying to reboot or shutdown my PS3. I
> > suspect it could be caused by some rare race condition. That's why I'm a
> > bit suspicious about different things.
>
> I don't see any way this could be related to problems at shutdown.

Thanks a lot for the explanations.

Hangs happening on reboot is probably really an unrelated issue. But it would
be intersting to know if anybody else has ever seen them, to decide whether
the problem is worth investigating. Maybe I'm just imagining things after
all, or my setup is broken :)

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka