[Cbe-oss-dev] MARS on Cell blades ? Cell image / video codecs?

Werner Armingeon werner.armingeon at matrix-vision.de
Thu May 28 19:10:55 EST 2009

Hi all,

for a long time I follow the progress of MARS but I wonder if there are
any other applications in development beside the two libraries delivered
as samples. For obvious reasons googling for "MARS" and "Cell" is not so
successful therefore my questions here:

- Are there more applications using MARS as a framework for Cell
accelerated algorithms?
- Did someone use MARS on Cell blades with 2 Cell processors?
- Is MARS a good choice as a framework for applications targeted for
Cell blades?

My special interest are applications / libraries with image / video
compression algorithms showing hopefully on Cell a significant
performance gain compared to standard CPUs. To find somewhere an Cell
optimized 10 bit JPEG lossless codec would be fantastic, but even
standard 8 bit JPEG would be nice.

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Werner

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner, Hans-Joachim Reich