[Cbe-oss-dev] Will Linux for the PS3 ever progress far enough to be able to play HD movies?

Jonathan Adamczewski jadamcze at utas.edu.au
Wed May 27 01:22:40 EST 2009

John Lange wrote:

> mplayer does, mplayer-ps3 apparently does not. From the Ubuntu-ps3 page:
>
> mplayer-ps3
>
> Known issues:
>       * Do not run X when running this.
>       * H.264 / MKV does not work.

I've only ever built mplayer for PS3 from source, so I can't speak
about what pre-built alternatives offer.

>> Greater access to the RSX would not solve this problem immediately,
>> and is not a necessity to do so.
>
> I don't pretend to be an expert on this issue. All I know is that every
> linux machine I've ever used that didn't have driver support for the
> video hardware falls back to the frame buffer and is the result is a
> display that is so slow it's unusable.
>
> I'm also of the understanding that it is the video drivers and hardware
> which optimize the display of video.
>
> All of those things seem to indicate that proper support for the video
> hardware would make an enormous difference in the usability of the PS3
> for "desktop" applications.

I've only made comments about video playback, which I believe will
work fine without access to more than the frame buffer.

Using the PS3 as a more general desktop machine is probably never
going to be all that exciting.

jonathan.