[Cbe-oss-dev] Will Linux for the PS3 ever progress far enough to be able to play HD movies?

Jonathan Adamczewski jadamcze at utas.edu.au
Wed May 27 00:25:47 EST 2009

John Lange wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 11:23 +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Haven't you tried spu-medialib, libps3fb, mplayer-ps3 ?
>
> The original post might have sounded a bit like flamebait but it's
> actually a good question. What is the status of (HD) video on the PS3?
>
> The projects you mention above all will not do h.264 which is the
> defacto standard for HD video.

mplayer does support h.264.  The listed projects speed up the
display of the decoded video - not enough to achieve reliable 720p
playback, in my experience. mplayer with spu-medialib support is the
best currently available option that I have found.

h.264 playback is (from what I can tell) primarily limited by the
lack of an optimised h.264 CABAC decoder for the CellBE.

> The PS3 does not give linux access to the video hardware effectively
> crippling it for anything that requires X. My understanding is the above
> projects simply optimize the cell processor to drive the Frame Buffer
> faster.
>
> So I suppose a more specific question would be; is there any hope on the
> horizon that Sony will allow access to the Video hardware in the PS3 or
> that some other solution will be found to optimize video?

Greater access to the RSX would not solve this problem immediately,
and is not a necessity to do so.

jonathan.