[Cbe-oss-dev] Adjusting PS3's Ethernet Link Speed

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Sun May 3 03:16:43 EST 2009

On 04/28/2009 06:52 AM, Benjamin Rose wrote:
> For educational reasons, I've been trying to adjust the link speed of
> the ethernet connection on the PS3 from 1Gbps to 100Mbps. Using the
> ethtool results in a "Cannot set new settings: Operation not
> supported" for any variation from just ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 to
> ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off.
>
> I am using the latest stable 2.6.29 kernel found on kernel.org.

The current kernel driver just uses the auto negotiated speed.
It does not support a manual setting.

> As a more extreme tactic, I've edited the drivers/net/ps3_gelic_net.c
> source file to force the adapter to use 100Mbps. The patch can be
> found attached to this e-mail. They're very simple changes.
>
> With those changes ethtool eth0 now shows the speed as 100Mbps and as
> auto negotiation as off, however I am still getting 1Gbps speeds. Is
> the PS3's hypervisor to blame or was this too naive of a change?

It seems all your patch does is change the value that reports what the
driver can support, without actually adding any additional support.

> Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!

I have no plan to support this kind control in ps3_gelic_net.  If you
want to use your PS3 for this work you can use an external USB Ethernet
adapter.