[Cbe-oss-dev] petitboot testing release

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Mon Mar 30 20:42:34 EST 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Geoff Levand wrote:
> I uploaded another testing build of Jeremy Kerr's new multi-ui petitboot.
> This release is only for experts.  Casual users should not install.
>
> If unsure, DO NOT install.
>
> Petitboot can now load gzipped elf files via http, so all you
> need is this to try out the latest:
>
>   echo 'k.org=http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/testing/ps3-petitboot-testing.elf.gz' >> /etc/kboot.conf

Please note that `k.org' is incompatible with kboot, as it contains a dot.
Furthermore kboot cannot handle gzipped files. You can increase the test
audience by also providing a non-gzipped version ;-)

Obviously these things do work if you already have petitboot.

> Not working parts:
>
>   o other

Weird things happen when your boot list doesn't fit on the screen and it must
scroll. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It also behaves weird when
switching back from 480p (scrolling needed) to uwxga (scrolling not needed).
The behavior seems to be different whether you just changed to 480p, or boot
immediately into 480p.

Once I saw a strange error message (unfortunately I didn't wrote it down) when
exiting to a shell and trying to launch `pb-cui' again (always failed from then
on), but I couldn't reproduce it after a reboot.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010