[Cbe-oss-dev] Plain yaboot port on PS3

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Mon Mar 23 19:59:40 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> > But it will stil be OpenWRT-based?
>
> Nothing about the petitboot sources is based on OpenWRT. We use OpenWRT
> to construct the petitboot builds, because it's a relatively easy method
> of building a small system from scratch.
>
> How there's nothing stopping you doing the same with whatever
> built/root-fs system that Debian uses, and shipping a petitboot build
> using that.

To create your own PS3 bootloader from scratch:
  - Create an application (to be launched instead of /sbin/init) that scans
    devices, reads kboot.conf/yaboot.conf, and kexecs a new kernel
  - Put the application in an initramfs
  - Build a PS3 kernel with this initramfs
  - Write dtbImage.ps3.bin.gz to FLASH

It may sound a bit over-simplistic, but that's it ;-)

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010