[Cbe-oss-dev] What changed in the ps3fb in firmware 2.50?

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Mar 5 02:47:12 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Dan Munckton wrote:
> Another issue I'm investigating in Ubuntu is why the boot splash screen
> locks up the machine.
>
> It mysteriously stopped working just after I upgraded to PS3 Firmware
> 2.50. I wasn't able to find any reason for the problem in updates to
> it's dependencies. I noticed ps3vram broke and had to be updated about
> the same time [0].
>
> Can anyone summarise what it was that changed?
>
> Dan
>
> [0] http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-November/005780.html

In ps3vram, the NOTIFIER value was changed from 8 to 7.

The standard ps3fb doesn't touch the notifiers. Does Ubuntu use a modified one?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010