[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 stops receiving network packets

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Jun 24 05:36:03 EST 2009

On 06/22/2009 07:19 PM, Akinobu Mita wrote:
> PS3 stops receiving any network packets after udp stress test.
> I can reproduce the problem with v2.6.30 and several distro kernels
> from 2.6.23 to 2.6.28 (Fedora, YDL)
>
> This is the instruction to reproduce the problem.
>
> Connect PS3 and PC with Ethernet crossover cable with 1000Mbit connection.
>
> setup PS3:
>
>  1. yum install busybox-anaconda
>  2. create /etc/udhcpd.conf (*1)
>  3. reboot with runlevel 1
>  4. run
>
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.222.100 up
> /sbin/busybox.anaconda udhcpd
>
> setup PC:
>
>  1. ifdown eth0
>  2. ifup eth0
>  3. ./udp-stress (*2)
>
> A few seconds after running udp-stress command, PS3 doesn't respond any ping
> commands from PC. PS3 kernel is still alive but /proc/interrupts for eth0
> doesn't change. The only way to make the PS3 responsible again without
> reboot is ping command from PS3 to PC.
> (irqpoll boot option does not help)

Did you ever get this behavior using something other than busybox?

I guess this is a problem with busybox.  I have know that Petitboot has
a similar, and I think the same, problem for a long time.  Often telnet
sessions will just stop working.  I tried to debug it before, but could
never find the trouble.

Please check if you get the same behavior with this test:

1) Install http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/ps3-petitboot-09.06.09.bld
2) Boot PS3 into petitboot and then exit to shell
3) Run your udp-stress.c test program from a host PC
(PS3 networking hangs up)
4) Ping host PC from PS3
(PS3 now works OK)