[Cbe-oss-dev] Costs of the SPE Context Switch

gelliott gelliott at cs.unc.edu
Wed Jun 10 06:04:13 EST 2009

I have recently been familiarizing myself with the Cell architecture and
I am interested the costs of SPE context switches on Linux.  The
material I have found states that the cost of the context switch
operation is relatively high (compared to a standard CPU) and is on the
order of 20 microseconds.

The Cell BE Programming Handbook has a chapter (12) on the steps needed
to carry out an SPE context switch.  I'd like to find benchmarks as
fine-grained as possible (perhaps paralleling the Handbook's steps), but
I would be happy with numbers characterizing the average costs of
managing the SPE Local Store, Registers, and DMA queue.

Does anyone know if such information is available?  If not, can anyone
suggest the best method to capture such data?  Any intuition on these
more fine-grain costs?

Thank you,
Glenn