[Cbe-oss-dev] Can't boot PS3 without using initrd

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Tue Jun 2 23:25:40 EST 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Probably it panics because it cannot find a root file system.
> > As ps3fb has to copy the screen contents from main memory to graphics memory
> > on every vertical blank, it's quite possible the system comes to a halt in
> > between the printing of the panic message and the copying to graphics memory,
> > hence you never see the panic message.
>
> I'm booting from a CF card.  I have all the necessary drivers
> compiled into the kernel (I believe).  ROOT is set to the correct label.
>
> What am I missing?

CF is on USB. USB probing may not have finished when the kernel wants to mount
the root file system. Usually the initrd takes care of waiting until the
root device is there.

Does it work if you add e.g. `rootdelay=10' to the kernel command line?

Cfr. Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:

	rootdelay=	[KNL] Delay (in seconds) to pause before attempting to
			mount the root filesystem

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010