[Cbe-oss-dev] QS22 and Linux Distros

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Jul 31 05:31:26 EST 2009

On 07/17/2009 02:55 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 17 July 2009, gelliott wrote:
>> Can anyone speculate as to why the Debian-based distributions are not
>> working?  Are there Cell-specific (or QS22-specific) kernel options that
>> must be enabled that may not be enabled in these distributions?  The
>> only other Cell platform I've worked on is the PS3.  Ubuntu worked just
>> fine there, though I was using the PS3-specific ISO (though I thought
>> the only difference here was in the ram disk).
>
> Yes, I believe that it's just the kernel configuration of the installer.
> When you get a Fedora running, it's fairly easy to do a debootstrap
> to install an Ubuntu user space on another partition and use that
> with your Fedora kernel or build your own kernel.

Kernel options for both the PS3 and QS2x are merged into recent
debian ppc64 kernel configs.  I did not test on the QS2x though.

I have not tested if these kernel changes made it into the D-I
image in some time, but this is the daily build:

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/

I recommend to try to boot on a PS3 first, and if that kernel boots,
then try on the QS22.