[Cbe-oss-dev] QS22 and Linux Distros

gelliott gelliott at cs.unc.edu
Fri Jul 17 08:11:34 EST 2009

Hello All,

I am attempting to install Ubuntu on a QS22.  Has anyone had success
with something like this?  I am having trouble when I try to boot from
the installation CD.  I get the error "(600) Alignment Exception [8000]"
(plus a hex dump) when I try to boot Ubuntu 8.04.  I get the message
"Not a bootable device" when I try to boot Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04.  I am
using the PPC Alternate ISOs.  (About my hardware: I have a BladeCenter
S chassis with a QS22 blade which has the SAS expansion card.  I plan to
boot from SAS disks in the chassis.)

I understand that RHEL 5.2+ is recommended for the QS22, but I have been
hoping to find a distribution that tracks the mainline kernel a little
bit closer as well as avoid any backport complications as I will be
doing some kernel hacking.  What distributions have folks been able to
run on the QS22?  Is there a trick to getting Ubuntu to run?  Ideally, I
would first run 8.04 as I have a kernel patch for 2.6.24 that I'd like
to use-- 8.04's kernel is very close to 2.6.24.  I plan to re-baseline
the patch in the near future, after which I would want to become more
current.

I understand that this mailing list is more for kernel development for
Cell platforms, but I thought I would find the most experienced users here.

Thank you,
Glenn