[Cbe-oss-dev] Cannot use petitboot to boot from USB stick

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Jul 7 03:45:37 EST 2009

On 07/02/2009 10:58 AM, John Frankish wrote:
> [...]

It is difficult to look at this:

Connecting to wiki.pdaxrom.org|212.10.30.205|:80... failed: Connection refused.

>> Petitboot recognizes the usb stick, but when I try to boot, I get "no bootable rootfs found" and the boot process stops. According to http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11551 this should work.
>>
>> Is this an issue of the usb stick changing device name during the boot process perhaps? If so, is there a way to identify the usb stick by label or uuid that petitboot and the kernel boot process would recognize?
>
> I noticed that that thread at ps2dev.org uses a very old
> version of petitboot (from http://ozlabs.org/).  That
> version is not supported.  Please ask for someone to test
> with the latest petitboot from here:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/
>
>>> thanks - tested with the latest version of petitboot, but same result.

Do others have the same problem, or success?

You can run kexec directly from a Linux shell, thereby
eliminating the question of petitboot.

>>> I guess I need to find something known to boot from usb stick on a ps3 - any ideas?

I recommend you ask the pdaxrom maintainer for help.