[Cbe-oss-dev] USB sound recording issue

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 14 03:28:26 EST 2009

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this; if I should go
somewhere else let me know.

I'm trying to do basic sound (guitar) recording using a PS3 and an Art
Tube MP USB preamp.  The preamp works fine for recording on Linux using
an x86 PC and tools like arecord/aplay.

On the PS3, the preamp works perfectly using arecord the first time.
The preamp is detected as a USB audio device:

input: Burr-Brown from TI               USB Audio CODEC  as
/devices/ps3_system/sb_05/usb1/1-2/1-2.1/1-2.1:1.3/input/input1
input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [Burr-Brown from TI
USB Audio CODEC ] on usb-sb_05-2.1

Any time after that though, after a few seconds I get this error:

$ arecord -D default:CARD=default -d 15 -f cd test3.wav
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:975:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_slave) unable to
install hw params
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:604:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to initialize slave
arecord: main:590: audio open error: Input/output error

dmesg shows the following:

usb 1-2.1: arecord timed out on ep0out len=0/0
usb 1-2.1: arecord timed out on ep0out len=8/0
ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:1354: 3:2:1: usb_set_interface failed

When the initial arecord run (that works properly) returns, my USB
keyboard no longer works.  The rest of the system still seems to
function fine; I can ssh in and do stuff (like running arecord again,
which results in the error above).

I get the same behavior with two kernels -- stock Fedora 10 2.6.27, and
a custom compiled 2.6.28.  With my custom kernel, I went through and
enabled all of the USB and ALSA verbose/debugging options.  Would it be
useful to send the full dmesg log?

Is there a fix for this?  Is there any other information I can provide?

Thanks,

Andrew