[Cbe-oss-dev] physical memory with recent PS3 kernels

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Feb 13 12:28:29 EST 2009

On 02/09/2009 10:43 AM, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>> In the last week or so, using the ps3-linux kernel, I've noticed that
>> the reported memory has gone down to about 100 megs.  I tried disabling
>> CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP, etc. as described  in this
>> e-mail,http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-May/004721.html but
>> the problem remains.
>> Anyone know offhand if there is a configuration that avoids this?
>
> Try CONFIG_NUMA=n.  It might hide the problem.
>
> I recently found a bug that is overwriting the device tree
> data.  One result of this is that the hot plug memory is
> not mapped in, so the system boots with just the 128 MiB of
> boot mem.  I believe this is the same problem as yours.

I have two fixes, both are now in ps3-linux.git:

This one effects 1st and 2nd stage kernels:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git;a=blob;f=ps3-stable/ps3-move-add-memory-to-device-initcall.patch;hb=HEAD

This one only effects 1st stage (bootloader/tool) kernels:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git;a=blob;f=other/powerpc-fix-numa-bootmem-reserve.diff;hb=HEAD