[Cbe-oss-dev] intermittend ps3fb problem with 2.6.29-rc2 on ps3

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Feb 12 22:03:17 EST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Stefan Wald wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Stefan Wald wrote:
> > > unfortunately i don't know how to install a strip image :-(
> > > but in the meantime i got hold of a second ps3 with the same firmware
> level
> > > 2.6.0, and the latest 2.6.29-rc3 works without any problems on this
> ps3.
> > > the working ps3 is made in china, the non-working made in japan :-)
> (same
> > > age code A7).
> > > so, either one ps3 has an intermittend hw problem or not all hw
> revisions
> > > are supported correctly.
> > > again: the problem seems to occur when kboot or petitboot invokes the
> > > kernel and the kernel inits the hdmi interface for the first time.
> (hope i
> > > got this correctly.) sometimes it works, often it doesn't. by the way:
> on
> > > the other hdmi end is a sony bravia lcd... so don't blame the lcd ;-)
> >
> > If I understand it correctly, you do not use the same monitor with both
> PS3s?
> > Do you use the same video mode on both PS3s?
> > If possible, can you please try with the same monitor on both?
>
> I tested both with the same lcd monitor, video mode 1080i, kboot and
> petitboot.
> I also tested the failing PS3 with petitboot and 720p. fails as well.

Strange...

> Petitboot doesn't seem to have a problem setting the video mode... because
> it always seems to work.

Petitboot is the first stage kernel, so that may be the difference.

BTW, you mention both have age code A7. Is the last chunk of their serial
numbers (The part starting with CEC) identical?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010