[Cbe-oss-dev] Using nfs server to netboot PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 16 10:09:53 EST 2009

On 12/15/2009 02:36 PM, Dmitry N. Mikushin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My goal is to setup Playstation to run 2.6.25-14.108 custom BSC kernel
> with pdt and other Cell server related modules included. With simple
> installing this kernel on PS3 running Fedora, system won't boot due to
> errors in loading ps3disk.ko, I think it's broken. I decided to
> workaround this problem by performing netboot.

I guess you need to have the HDD driver built into the kernel, or
in the initrd.

> I've setup tftp server
> whose root contains vmlinuz-bsc and initrd-bsc from the BSC kernel
> distro. Then, from petitboot I chose netboot and set its options to:
>
> image= tftp://192.168.0.100/vmlinuz-bsc
> initrd= tftp://192.168.0.100/initrd-bsc
>
> then, what we have to provide in arguments?
>
> root=/dev/nfs ip=any netroot=:

See the kernel source file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
I think just this is enough:

  root=/dev/nfs ip=any

> I tried to set ip=192.168.0.101 (ip, where nfs server is located) and
> netroot=:/mnt (/mnt folder of server is mounted to nfs server).
> After executing this option, kernel is able to start (i.e. tftp works
> fine), but if fails to mount any kind of filesystem. I'm wondering, if
> it is a problem of wrong options specified or misconfigured nfs
> server.

Wrong options.

> mount -o nolock 192.168.0.101:/mnt /remote
> gives "mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused",
> however NFS seems to be working if I mount it to itself.

Seems to be an NFS config problem on the server.  Check the config and
log files.

None of your problems seem to be PS3 specific.  You can get help from
any general linux forum.