[Cbe-oss-dev] Kernel Development Tips for QS22?

gelliott gelliott at cs.unc.edu
Thu Aug 27 04:51:13 EST 2009

I only started hacking the Linux kernel a few months ago and now I find
myself developing on a QS22 blade.  I am inexperienced in kernel
development, but I am learning.  I was hoping some of the folks on this
list could share the techniques they use for kernel development on
Cell-based systems.  I am having particular difficulty on the QS22 due
to the console SOL interface; it's pretty cumbersome.  I am also finding
the QS22 more difficult since there is no virtualized environment
(contrast with using qemu for x86 development)-- I don't think anyone
here uses the Cell simulator, but maybe I'm wrong.

Regarding my own development environment, I am modifying the BSC Fedora
9 kernel (based on 2.6.25).  I am using the source RPMs and repeated
rebuilds of the kernel is consuming a lot of my time (3+ hours per go).
I am unsure of what drivers I can cut out of the BSC kernel for the
QS22.  Is there anyone developing for a QS22 that might want to share a
slimmed down .config file?  Would it be smart to just start compiling
the kernel with 'make' and 'make install'?

Thanks,
Glenn