[Cbe-oss-dev] No otheros feature on new PS3 slim ?

François Galea francois.galea at prism.uvsq.fr
Mon Aug 24 20:32:29 EST 2009

I do not think many people would buy such a "game". About 0.001% of ps3
owners actually care about the otheros feature. And I really doubt Sony
loses much selling PS3's to home developers, because there are so little
of them. And even though I bought my ps3 for Cell development, I also
bought at least a dozen of PS3 games, as well as PS2 games (I have a
backwards compatible model).

I think selling the gameos functionality would be counter productive, as
any ps3-specific developed application on the otheros could only be
spread around people who already bought the otheros feature. I think the
possibility to interest gamers in free (as in "free beer") homemade
productions is a necessity.

OtherOs must be available to every ps3 owner, and for free.