[Cbe-oss-dev] No otheros feature on new PS3 slim ?

evil at eternaldusk.com evil at eternaldusk.com
Mon Aug 24 08:32:33 EST 2009

Just my opinion, but I think this is horrible news.  For the users,
and for Sony.

As an owner of all the current-gen systems, the OtherOS feature was
the one thing that's made me recommend the PS3 over the others when
people ask my opinion.  I never thought it performed as well as it
should, as it was intentionally crippled, but it seemed to be
consistently improving and I thought it would soon be a viable platform.

Now this.

And before someone calls me an ingrate for not appreciating that the
console was "sold at a loss", I'll point out that many of us bought
plenty of games for this system (writing from Linux on it now) and
that money was made back long ago.  Also, how many scientific clusters
of these things are costing Sony any money compared to the millions of
people like me that primarily want a cutting-edge game console and see
Linux as an added value?

Are the slims still going to be sold at a loss?  Really?

The only one I actually see benefiting from this news is Microsoft.
They no longer have to worry about the PS3 letting people try Linux
and potentially cutting into the Windows funds that they will use to
prop up sales of new generations of XBoxes until Sony leaves the
console market.

Horrible horrible decision.