[Cbe-oss-dev] petitboot USB Stick problem

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Thu Aug 13 20:37:23 EST 2009

Hi,

> I installed Fedora11 on USB Stick using petitboot 09.07.01.
> But I have a problem at boot  up, "Failed :kexec
> /var/petitboot/mnt/sdb1/vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.ppc64".
> When I edit manually "sdb1" to "sdd1", it boots.
> Why does petitboot recognize USB Stick as sdb1 instead of sdd1?

Because your PS3 already has a number of SCSI devices (eg, the card-
reader ports), and these would have already been allocated the names
sda, sdb and sdc. Since your USB stick is detected after these, it gets
allocated the next name available, sdd.

You can probably remove the device component of the path completely, and
petitboot will assume that the kernel and ramdisk are on the 'current'
device (ie, the same one where it found the kboot.conf).

Regards,

Jeremy