[Cbe-oss-dev] Adjusting PS3's Ethernet Link Speed

Benjamin Rose bar234 at vt.edu
Tue Apr 28 23:52:38 EST 2009

For educational reasons, I've been trying to adjust the link speed of
the ethernet connection on the PS3 from 1Gbps to 100Mbps. Using the
ethtool results in a "Cannot set new settings: Operation not
supported" for any variation from just ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 to
ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off.

I am using the latest stable 2.6.29 kernel found on kernel.org.

As a more extreme tactic, I've edited the drivers/net/ps3_gelic_net.c
source file to force the adapter to use 100Mbps. The patch can be
found attached to this e-mail. They're very simple changes.

With those changes ethtool eth0 now shows the speed as 100Mbps and as
auto negotiation as off, however I am still getting 1Gbps speeds. Is
the PS3's hypervisor to blame or was this too naive of a change?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Benjamin Rose
Masters Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science