[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems building newlib/libgloss 1.17 for spu

Ken Werner ken at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 3 02:08:27 EST 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 15:56:43 Ken Werner wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2009 15:37:26 Dan Munckton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Just in case I'm wasting my time here ... is anyone aware of, or working
> > to fix any known problems building newlib 1.17 for spu?
> >
> > Having been updated to v1.17 from 1.16 in Ubuntu it stopped building
> > libgloss and therefore crt1.o is missing, which means spu-gcc fails to
> > compile things.
> >
> > The first change I've noted is the configure script now sets --host=spu
> > whereas in the old working version it was set to powerpc-linux-gnu. That
> > brings libgloss back but it's failing to build. So I'm in the middle of
> > chasing down why, and wondered if there were known issues with this
> > version of newlib.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dan
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> are you using the 1.17 release or CVS head?
> I'm building newlib from head like this:
> ../src/configure \
>    --disable-shared \
>    --enable-multilib \
>    --disable-nls \
>    --target=spu \
>    --prefix=/usr
>
> Ken

Dan,

I just tried snapshot 1.17.0 of newlib which builds flawlessly using the very
same configure args as described for head. These are the triples detected by
configure:
  checking build system type... powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
  checking host system type... powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
  checking target system type... spu-unknown-elf

Let me know if you're still having problems.

Ken