[Cbe-oss-dev] Installing Debian on the PS3 Has the process changed?

Dan Munckton lists at munckfish.net
Wed Sep 24 17:12:22 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 14:42 -0400, thegame4121982 at msn.com wrote:
> I can still install Debian using your instructions but the x window
> system no longer starts up. I've hard that Xorg is now using an
> autodection based system an so you are no longer asked questions about
> your monitor and screen resolution during installation. This is fine
> if everything goes well as everything is auto detected but may bring
> problems if the autodection  fails for whatever reason.  Seems like
> you have to do some tweaking now to get everything working.

Ubuntu had some problems starting X when it swapped over to the
auto-detecting version. We needed a couple of very small patches which
got it working again - however I think they should have been submitted
back to debian by now. Worth checking though.

If my memory serves me correctly Ubuntu's X doesn't auto-detect the ps3
itself instead the 'dexconf' (in the 'xorg' package) script which
creates the initial /etc/X11/xorg.conf detects the ps3fb and specifies
it explicitly. Our issue was [0].

The other issues we had were a couple of bugs in the routines in Xserver
itself which try to use PCI info to discover the graphics card [1][2].

Hope these pointers may be of some use.

Cheers

Dan

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ps3-port/+bug/230091